Academic Support services available to you !!!
There are numerous types of support available through Academic Support Services to help students succeed at JSC.  Their services include:
  • Advising
  • Services for students with disabilities
  • Professional tutoring in writing and math, individual peer tutoring in most courses, and Writers’ Online Workshop
  • International and non-traditional student services
  • Help with major selection and career development
  • Help with “college survival skills” such as note-taking, time management, and test-taking strategies
  • Support for students on academic probation
They are also home to JSC’s TRIO program, which provides specialized support (including priority access to advising, a laptop loan program, free tickets to selected Dibden events, and financial grants) to eligible low-income, disabled, and/or first generation students.

Click here to visit the Academic Support Services web site!

Visit the Learning Resource Center in the Dewey Campus Center, they are open...

  • Monday-Thursday  --  8:00 a.m. until 9:00 p.m.
  • Friday  --  8:00 a.m. until 4:30 p.m.
or give them a call at 635-1259 or 635-1464
Tutoring Services Information 

Services include drop-in math and writing tutoring in Governor's Hall in addition to regularly scheduled appointments in content courses, writing, math and study skills (find them in Academic Support Services office in the Dewey Campus Center, Room 114).

H<>ere is a picture of the current professional tutoring staff:  
  • <>Writing Professionals:
    • Alison Moncrief Bromage (new tutor working in Governor's Hall only)
    • Rose Nash
    • Auri Schwartz
  • Math Professional:
    • Kikuli Mwanukuzi

Both scheduled and drop-in tutoring will begin officially on Monday, August 31st. Students should apply early since scheduled session slots fill quickly! The sooner a student gets into a tutoring relationship, the more effective the relationship will be. Applying for services is EASY and available to all JSC undergraduate students. There is an easy application that students complete available in the Academic Support Services office. The drop-in services, funded in part by the Title III funds, run Monday and Wednesday evenings from 5-10 pm.

JSC Counseling Center Information

Location:  Martinetti Hall Room 218
   Hours:  Monday through Friday -- 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Referrals:  Students can access our services by stopping by Martinetti Room 218 to make an appointment or calling extension 1424.  They will usually receive an appointment within 1 week of contacting us.

Staffing:  Jackie Stanton oversees all of the Administrative functions of the Center and is usually the first contact point for students when they make an appointment.  Andy Kelly begins her second year as Director of the Counseling Center.  Andy is a Licensed Psychologist and is at the Center Tuesday through Thursday.

Services:  Andy and the graduate assistants provide Individual, Couples, and Group Counseling. These services are free of charge and confidential.  We also provide Outreach Services in the form of hall talks, guest lecture presentations, and dialogues with student groups.  The Director is available to Staff and Faculty who may be seeking consultation about a student they are concerned about.  We are also a resource for referrals in the case where a student may be best served by a specialized program/practitioner.

Emergency Coverage:  In the event of a crisis occurring outside of our office hours,   Andy Kelly is usually available by pager.  In severe cases that require immediate assistance (or in any case when Andy Kelly is not available) contact should be made with Lamoille County Mental Health's Crisis Services at 888-4914 (8am-4pm)/ 888-4231 (4pm-8am & weekends).

Frequently Asked Questions !!!
Who is my advisor?
  • all JSC students are assigned an Academic Advisor (you are notified of your advisor assignment at new student orientation)
  • your advisor's signature is required for all schedule adjustments
  • it's up to you to schedule appointments with your advisor
  • when in doubt, if all else fails, or if you are unsure who your advisor is, contact the Advising Center in Dewey 164 or at extension 1257
What do I do if I want to change advisors?
  • pick up a Change of Advisor form at the Advising Center
  • if there is a particular faculty member you would like to be your advisor, ask if you can be added to his/her advisee list
  • have the faculty member sign the Change of Advisor form
  • return the form to the Advising Center
When do I register for my spring classes?
  • registration for the spring semester is usually the week before Thanksgiving break
  • I will post the dates here as soon as I receive them, so please check back!
  • you will need to make an appointment with me to decide on which classes you should take (a sheet with sign-up time slots will be posted on my door during the first week in November)
  • the Registrar's Office is open from 8:15 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. for registration
What should I do if I receive an EARLY WARNING?
  • meet with your instructor to discuss what you need to do to be successful in the class
  • meet with me to discuss appropriate strategies and available support
Is there a difference between DROPPING a course and WITHDRAWING from a course?
  • YES !!!
  • the deadline is later for LATE WITHDRAWALS  ( November 9th this year)
  • the WITHDRAWAL appears in your transcript as either a...
    • WP  ==>  withdrew passing
    • WF  ==>  withdrew failing
  • either way, the course does NOT count toward your grade point average  (GPA)
  • Important Note:  if you miss the LATE WITHDRAWAL deadline and want to withdraw from a class, you will have to appeal to the Academic Status Committee  (they very rarely grant a late withdrawal request so I suggest that you do not miss the deadline!)
How do I ADD or DROP a class?
  • pick up a GREEN Add/Drop card from the Registrar's Office or at the Advising Center
  • meet with your advisor to discuss your schedule and your options
  • make sure your card has the proper signatures
    • ADDing a class  ==>  the class instructor and your advisor must sign
    • DROPping a class  ==>  your advisor must sign
  • turn in the completed ADD/Drop card to the Registrar's Office
  • file you copy in your green advising folder
How do I WITHDRAW from a class?
  • get a Request for Withdrawal form from the Registrar's Office
  • get the instructor's comments and signature
  • get your advisor's comments and signature
  • return the completed form to the Registrar's Office
When do I have to fill out my Plan of Study?
  • once you have completed 45 credits, you must file a Plan of Study with the Registrar's office
  • if the Plan of Study is not on file, you will NOT receive your preregistration materials
Which courses can I take PASS-NO PASS?
  • this is a list of classes that you MAY NOT take pass-no pass
    1. general education classes
    2. classes required for your major
    3. classes required for your minor
How can I find out if a specific class is closed?
I'm a senior, what do I have to do to graduate?
  • you must notify the Registrar's Office of your expected date of graduation during the semester PRIOR to the semester in which you intend to graduate
  • you must fill out an "Application for a Degree" and submit it to the Registrar  (this form is available from the Registrar's Office)
  • if you plan on graduating in May, 2002  ==>  you must complete this process by April 15, 2002 or you will not be allowed to participate in the commencement ceremony or receive your diploma  ( you will be added to the August 2002 graduation list instead)
I need a resume, where can I get help?
What if I have a question and you are not around?
  • if I'm not on campus you can always visit the Advising Center in the Dewey Campus Center
  • you can also visit their web site for additional information and answers to your questions
Where can I find other types of help?
  • Counseling Center  --  Martinetti Hall 2nd floor, 635-1424
  • This is a free, safe, and confidential place to talk about your feelings, concerns, and choices you face during your years here at JSC.  Counselors provide the support you need to help you make the most out of your time here.
  • Student Health Center  --  Arthur Hall 1st floor, 635-1265
  • Health care professionals are available to see you on either an appointment or a drop-in basis.

Click here to go to the JSC web site!



© 1999-2011 Reed Fisher
send comments and suggestions to: Reed.Fisher@jsc.edu

last updated on August 23, 2010